Saturday, May 23, 2009

Happy Birthday, Grandma Oscarson

Today I've been thinking of Grandma Oscarson on her 100th Birthday.  In honor of the occasion, I got out the audiocassette tape I recorded at their home on Devondale Lane in August, 1981.  Grandma was reading a history of her mother, Maud Knight Brown.  I have wanted to convert it to a digital format to preserve it, and today Brent was nice enough to find a way to do that.  It's in MP3 format.  I don't have the software to post it here on the blog, but I can email the file.  The tape ended kind of abruptly and I can only guess that we had left the topic and I just turned the tape off at that point.  Still, it's fun to hear Grandma's voice.  I can still see myself in her living room, sitting on the little footstool and holding the tape recorder while Grandma sat in the chair by the fireplace and shared her memories of her mother.  Her voice was younger and stronger than in later years, and it just makes me smile to hear it.  I hope you enjoy it, too.  


Vera Brown Oscarson

5 comments:

Julie said...

I just can't believe MeMa and Papa are still not sitting at Devondale watching Lawrence Welk with a fire going, or having lunch at their kitchen table inviting all who stop by to share. She would have loved her day here in St. Louis - a tad warm, but sunny and breezy. Happy Birthday to a wonderful, dear woman.

Amy Lynn said...

I agree with Julie...it is still surreal that such a significant portion of my life is just a memory. It is hard that my own children won't ever know Devondale Lane and the remarkable grandparents that lived there. I love to tell my kids bedtime stories from their life histories though. It keeps them so alive for me. And last night we drove to Pleasant Grove and I showed my family the 4 remaining apple trees from Great-Grandpa's orchard. Happy birthday sweet grandma!

Lucky Mommy said...

I miss them too and am so grateful they left us such complete personal histories. Thank you for taking the time to record a few of Mema's words and finding a way to share them with us! What a treasure that will be. I was actually just thinking about her mother and wishing I knew more about her. This will be wonderful. Amy, that's so neat you teach your kids about them and took them to see the old orchard. It's strange to live in a place without any family cemeteries to visit on Memorial Day.

Rebekah said...

I love that you have Awdiwode on your blog. And Lochheads Vanilla too! Happy 50th to Uncle Dick and Aunt Linda by the way. If ever you find yourself in Seattle give me a call!

Abby said...

Did you say you could email that? I would love that if you could. abigailmccoy[at]hotmail